Thursday, March 19, 2009

Photobucket


While doing research for a bread-making project I had been working on recently (creating sourdough bread from a starter which included samples of my own vaginal yeast), I stumbled upon the work of Kittiwat Unarrom, an artist who creates body parts out of bread. I was interested in the implications of the human body providing food for itself, and though this is more figurative than my approach, the shock value of the work is undeniable. This Thai artist has been producing these gruesome looking works out of his family's bakery, making it a local attraction.




The work can be interpreted in a myriad of directions from political statements to religion to the desire or repulsion stemming from the idea of cannibalism.


His work is fully edible, and reportedly tastes like normal bread, though even with that knowledge, I wonder how many can work up the nerve to eat it?


Read More About Kittiwat Unarrom

No comments: