Thursday, March 12, 2009

Philip Matesic Demands Your Attention...

Well, I do anyway . . . through him. I took Sculpture I with Philip Matesic last spring and found several of his pieces that fit in pretty well with what we've been doing this semester. While there isn't a whole lot that's print-related, most of his work addresses social space and interaction. A couple of my favorites are titled "Stop Carrying Out Your Intentions and Watch for My Signals" and "I Wish To Communicate with You". For these, Philip constructed two shelters based on images from the International Code (a series of flags used for communication between mariners), installed them at various beaches in Denmark and let his audience do the rest. Not a bad way to spend a day at the beach. Click here to check out more of his work.

No comments: